“One of the greatest spiritual benefits in fasting is becoming more attentive to God — becoming more aware of our own inadequacies and His adequacy, our own contingencies and His self-sufficiency, and listening to what He wants us to be and do.” – Elmer L. Towns
2019 Corporate Fast Theme: SYNERGIZE: I AM, WE ARE.
Agape is beginning the New Year with a corporate fast. Those who would like to participate in a full 21-day fast are more than welcome. In accordance with our 2019 theme we are seeking God’s face and offering our whole hearts to Him so that we do not hinder anything He wants to do in our lives. As you fast and pray each day be mindful of what you are believing God for, and be sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Consider what you watch or listen to; perhaps keep a fasting journal to record what God reveals to you. We encourage everyone to participate in the spirit of unity.
Please prayerfully choose your level of participation considering your individual circumstances. Even children can participate by deciding to give up chips, sweets and fried foods, or sodas and juices in favor of water.
What is Fasting? – (Tony Evans)
- “The deliberate abstinence from physical gratification to achieve a greater spiritual goal”.
- “It’s the denial of the flesh in order to gain a response from the spirit”.
- “Renouncing the natural to invoke the supernatural. It’s saying NO to you and YES to God!”
There is no biblical rule on how often you fast but Jesus said when – Matt 6: 16-18. When you Fast you demonstrate to God that He is more important than your body. Biblical fasting always occurs together with prayer in the Bible. Fasting – is a part of cleansing the soul, mind and body. It is also a time set aside to spend with God in PRAYER.
Some Benefits of Fasting and Prayer:
Cleansing is getting rid of the toxins in your spirit, mind, and body. The spirit man needs to be cleansed of things that are not representing Christ. The mind needs to get rid of stinking thinking, doubt, and lust of the flesh. The body needs to take a break and be rejuvenated.
Prayer – communicating with God and God communicating with you. Be specific in why you are fasting.
Create in me God a clean Heart and Renew a right spirit within me – Psalm 51:10
Let this mind be in me which was also in Christ Jesus – Phil 2:5
Time period: 21 days (Jan. 6 – 26)
Fast Type: Choose the type of fast that is best for you. Also, depending on your state of health and medications, please consult your physician before starting the fast.
The Fast that Pleases God – Isaiah 58:1-14
Fasting for Deliverance – Matthew 17:14-21
Fasting for Burdens – Nehemiah 1:1-11
Fasting for Protection – Esther 4:8-16
Fasting for Needs – 1 Kings 17:8-16
Fasting for Mates – Genesis 24:32-49
Fasting for Marriage – 1 Corinthians 7:1-5
Fasting for Healing – Acts: 9:9-19
Fasting for Guidance – Ezra 8:21-23
Fasting for Revival – Joel 2:12-25
Fasting for Ministry – Acts 13:1-5
Fasting for Intimacy – Luke 2:34-38
Fasting for Power – Luke 4:1-13
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF FASTS?
Suggested Biblical Fasts:
- The Daniel Fast – Fasting for health and physical healing (see Daniel 1:12-20) – not for vegetarians
- The Paul Fast – Fasting for insight and decision making (see Acts 9:9-19)
- Engaging in Spiritual Warfare – Fasting for freedom from addiction (see Matt 17:20-21)
If you can’t abstain from food because of medical reasons, abstain from something that you give more attention to than God. For example, if you spend most of your leisure time watching TV then take that time and spend with God.
Different Types of Fasts:
- Absolute Fast – Going without food and water for a period of time: you establish the number of days or hours (Esther 4:16)
- Partial Fast – Omitting one meal a day or omitting certain foods for a certain period from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or sun up to sundown. You can select from a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food. You may also consider a combination of the fasts during the 21 days. Make a commitment and ask the Lord each day to help you stick to it. Fasting is to be a part of our Christian lifestyle..
- Daniel Fast – Fruits, vegetables, and grains (Daniel 10)
NOTE: Break your Fast with something light: tea, juice, soup, vegetables, and salad.
- Fasting Ideas for Children / Teens
- Consider sacrificing any of the following items for Christ:
- Eating any of the following: snacks / candy / desserts
- Drinking soda and/or sugary drinks
- Watching TV
- Social Media
- Consider sacrificing any of the following items for Christ:
Additional Resources: The Power of Prayer and Fasting by Marilyn Hickey Your Personal Guide to Fasting and Prayer and 7 Basic Steps to Successful Fasting and Prayer by Cru.org (Formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ)
Fasting Accompanied by
Abstinence from Sexual Relationships (1 Cor. 7:5)
Confession of Sin (1 Sam. 7:6; Neh. 9:1-3)
Humiliation (Deut. 9:18; Ps. 35:13; Ps. 69:10; 1 Kings 21:27; Neh. 9:1)
Lamenting (Esther 9:30,31)
Mourning (2 Sam. 1:12; 1 Kings 21:27; Esther 4:3; Neh. 1:4; Joel 2:12; Ezra 10:6)
Personal Demeanor (Matt 6:17)
Prayer (Ezra 8:23; Neh. 1:4; Ps. 35:13; Dan. 9:3; Luke 5:33)
Reading the Scriptures (Neh. 9:1-3; Jer. 36:6; Jer. 36:10)
Weeping (2 Sam. 1:12; Neh. 1:4; Esther 4:3; Ps. 69:10; Joel 2:12)
Worship (Neh. 9:1-3)
Draws you closer to God
Gain greater clarity from God on your purpose or key decisions you need to make in your life
Gain a deeper, higher level of praise
Increase your sensitivity to hearing God’s voice
Cleanse the body and soul
Achieve great health benefits: Helps lower blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, and helps normalize insulin sensitivity
Helps slow down the aging process
Helps reduce ghrelin (hunger hormone) levels
Aids in weight loss
Gain a new satisfaction — increased energy level and overall personal renewal
“One of the greatest spiritual benefits in fasting is becoming more attentive to God — becoming more aware of our own inadequacies and His adequacy, our own contingencies and His self-sufficiency, and listening to what He wants us to be and do” – Elmer L. Towns
Get ready for cleansing – spirit, mind, & body!
Get ready for greater intimacy with God!
Get ready for the victory…..the breakthrough!