Please let us know how we can pray for you
- Need Prayer?
- Guidelines for Fasting
- Morning Prayer Call
- Monthly Prayer Directives
- Prayer for a Harmonious Marriage
2020 Fasting Guidelines
Agape is beginning the New Year with a corporate fast every Wednesday in January, sunrise to sundown. Those who would like to participate in a full 21-day fast are more than welcome. In accordance with our 2020 theme we are seeking God’s face and offering our whole hearts to Him so that we do not hinder anything He wants to do in our lives. As you fast and pray each day be mindful of what you are believing God for, and be sensitive to the voice of the Holy Spirit. Consider what you watch or listen to; perhaps keep a fasting journal to record what God reveals to you. We encourage everyone to participate in the spirit of unity. Please prayerfully choose your level of participation considering your individual circumstances. Even children can participate by deciding to give up chips, sweets and fried foods, or sodas and juices in favor of water.
Below are the types of fast you may choose:
Full Fast Drink only liquids (you establish the number of days).
The Daniel Fast includes water, juice, fruits and vegetables. Excludes meat, sweets and bread. 3-Day Fast This fast can be a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food.
Partial Fast is from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or sun up to sundown. You can select from a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food. You may also consider a combination of the fasts during the 21 days. Make a commitment and ask the Lord each day to help you stick to it. Fasting is to be a part of our Christian lifestyle.
Additional Resources: The Power of Prayer and Fasting by Marilyn Hickey Your Personal Guide to Fasting and Prayer and 7 Basic Steps to Successful Fasting and Prayer by Cru.org (Formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ)
Corporate Fast Theme: Forward
- Fast Length & Period
- Continuous fast period if desired for 21 days (Jan 6 – Jan 27)
- Fast Directions
- Daniel Fast
- Fruits & vegetables
- Whole grains
- Legumes (beans, lentils, etc.)
- Nuts and seeds
- Daniel Fast
- NOTE: If you have any special conditions or diseases, feel free to modify the list above and sacrifice a select food group unto God (i.e. sweets, bread, etc.) for the fasting period. Also, you can consider only fasting from one meal per day or fast from sun up to sun down each day. In the end, it’s about your sacrifice unto God!
- Fasting Ideas for Children / Teens
- Consider sacrificing any of the following items for Christ:
- Eating any of the following: snacks / candy / desserts
- Drinking soda and/or sugary drinks
- Watching TV
- Social Media
- Consider sacrificing any of the following items for Christ:
- 10 Benefits of Fasting
- Draws you closer to God
- Gain greater clarity from God on your purpose or key decisions you need to make in your life
- Gain a deeper, higher level of praise
- Increase your sensitivity to hearing God’s voice
- Cleanse the body and soul
- Achieve great health benefits: Helps lower blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, and helps normalize insulin sensitivity
- Helps slow down the aging process
- Helps reduce ghrelin (hunger hormone) levels
- Aids in weight loss
- Gain a new satisfaction — increased energy level and overall personal renewal
Agape General Fasting Guidelines (Daniel 1:12-20)
Please note the following scriptures: (2 Chronicles 7:14) and (Joel 2:12,13). Spirit of Fasting (Isa. 58:5-7) Fasting to God (Zech. 7:5,6; Matt. 6:17,18)
Purpose of Fasting
- To Chasten the Soul (Ps. 69:10)
- To Humble the Soul (Ezra 8:21)
- To Seek the Lord (2 Chron. 20:3,4)
- To Prepare for Spiritual Warfare (Matt:17:21)
When to Fast
- When Facing the Judgment of God (1 Kings 21:27; Joel 1:14; Joel 2:12; John. 3:4,5)
- During Periods of National Mourning (1 Sam. 31:11-13; 2 Sam. 1:12; 2 Sam. 3:35; 1 Chron. 10:11,12)
- When Communion with Christ Is Broken (Matt. 9:15; Mark 2:19,20; Luke 5:34,35)
- When Concerned for the Welfare of Others (Ps. 35:13)
- When Challenged by Personal Concerns (2 Sam. 12:15-17; 2 Sam. 12:21-23)
- When Facing Danger (2 Chron. 20:2,3; Ezra 8:21-23; Esther 4:15,16)
- When Engaged in Spiritual Warfare (Mark 17:21; Mark 9:29)
- When Ordaining Ministers of the Gospel (Acts 13:2,3; Acts 14:23)
Fasting Accompanied by
- Abstinence from Sexual Relationships (1 Cor. 7:5)
- Confession of Sin (1 Sam. 7:6; Neh. 9:1-3)
- Humbling oneself (Deut. 9:18; Ps. 35:13; Ps. 69:10; 1 Kings 21:27; Neh. 9:1)
- Lamenting (Esther 9:30,31)
- Mourning (2 Sam. 1:12; 1 Kings 21:27; Esther 4:3; Neh. 1:4; Joel 2:12; Ezra 10:6)
- Personal Demeanor (Matt 6:17)
- Prayer (Ezra 8:23; Neh. 1:4; Ps. 35:13; Dan. 9:3; Luke 5:33)
- Reading the Scriptures (Neh. 9:1-3; Jer. 36:6; Jer. 36:10)
- Weeping (2 Sam. 1:12; Neh. 1:4; Esther 4:3; Ps. 69:10; Joel 2:12)
- Worship (Neh. 9:1-3)
Promised Blessings Associated with Fasting
- Answered Prayer, Insight and Restoration (Isa. 58:9-12)
- Joy, Gladness and Cheerfulness (Zech. 8:19)
- Rewarded by God the Father (Matt. 6:17,18)
- Spiritual Power over Demons (Mark 9:29)
- Effects of Fasting (1 Kings 21:28,29; Ps. 109:24; Matt.15:32; Mark 8:2,3)
Morning Prayer with Pastor Larry
Prayer requests submitted by 6am will be prayed for on that day’s prayer call and anonymous requests are acceptable. Dial-in Number: (605) 313-5157 Conference Code: 119714 Monday – Friday, 6:30 am Please note: long distance charges may apply depending on your carrier.
JANUARY 2021 Prayer Directives
- Happy New Year!
- New Vision, New Insight
- Pastor Powell as he embraces the new normal for ministry goals and objectives Agape members and their families.
- Pastor Brandon Johnson and the Teens as they navigate through these challenging times.
- Agape Leaders as they plan for ministry during this Pandemic and for the New Year.
- A Spiritual Revival.
- New Leadership in America
- Transition of Power for President elect Joe Biden and Vice President Elect Kamala Harris.
- Cabinet and Administrative appointees.
- We come against opposition and chaos with confirmation and on inauguration day.
- We pray for focus, financial stability and unity as decisions are made about COVID-19 and its impact, unemployment, evictions and stimulus checks to help the American People.
- We pray for Spiritual Guidance and clear direction.
- National Security, safety and protection for our nation and against terrorism.
- Pray against Hate groups, Racism and White Supremacist.
- New Jersey’s Governor Phil Murphy and all of the Governors across our nation as they make decisions for their States.
- State and Local elected Officials, Senators , Representatives of the House, Mayors, Councilmen and Councilwomen.
- Sickness, Disease, and the accelerated number of deaths due to COVID-19.
- Our troops abroad who protect us as a nation.
- Russia, China, Iran and North Korea who pose a threat to US Systems, Networks, and Information.
- We pray against division among Christian Leaders, Pastors and the Body of Christ; Bring us together make us one.
Prayer Still Works!
Prayer for a Harmonious Marriage
Father, in the Name of Jesus, it is written in Your Word that Your love is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost Who is given to us. Because You are in us, we acknowledge that love reigns supreme. We believe that love is displayed in full expression enfolding and knitting us together in truth, making us perfect for every good work to do Your will, working in us that which is pleasing in Your sight. We live and conduct our marriage and ourselves honorably and becomingly. We esteem it as precious, worthy, and of great price. We commit ourselves to live in mutual harmony and accord with one another delighting in each other, being of the same mind and united in spirit. Father, we believe and say that we are gentle, compassionate, courteous, tenderhearted, and humble-minded. We seek peace, and it keeps our hearts in quietness and assurance. Because we follow after love and dwell in peace, our prayers are not hindered in any way, in the Name of Jesus. We are heirs together of the grace of God. Our marriage grows stronger day by day in the bond of unity because it is founded on Your Word and rooted and grounded in Your love. We decree this day; we have a marriage made in heaven! Father, we thank You for the performance of it, in Jesus’ Name.
1 Peter 3:7